Summer and the 4th of July means its time for fireworks! As much as us humans love watching fireworks, sometimes it is not as enjoyable to out pets. Here are some tips on how to keep your furry friends calm during fireworks:
- Before fireworks even begin, desensitize your pet. This can be done by playing videos or sounds of fireworks while giving your pet treats and toys. This will get them used to the sound and help them realize they are not in danger.
- During fireworks, find a more quiet place/room where your pet can feel safe (and hide if they want to) with a blanket, bed, or crate and some treats and toys that will distract them. A Kong, filled with frozen food or peanut butter, or a bone is perfect to distract a dog, or some catnip and a toy mouse can help distract your cat!
- Keep your pets inside and close the windows and curtains to help make them feel more comfortable.
- Leave a TV, music, or even a loud fan on for your furry friend to mute some of the loud noise from the fireworks.
- Stay home with your pets if you can; they will feel safer, calmer, and happier if you are around to keep them company and help them relax.
- Try anti-anxiety calming treats.
- Invest in our Calm Spray which helps your dogs feel safe and calm.